JK News Today

13 Sep 2023, Rajouri District. High intensity of operations by the Indian Army, PMF and JKP over the last two months have kept the terrorists on the run. Feeling the pressure, the terrorists have been trying to move towards forested areas to avoid contact. Based on intelligence inputs being received since the last operation on 04 Sep
2023 wherein one terrorist was neutralised, large scale operations have been in progress in the region to keep the terrorists on the run. Multiple columns from Indian Army, JKP and PMF were mobilised to cover the areas where sighting of terrorists was being informed by villagers. Braving inclement weather conditions and due to relentless domination, security forces continued to remain on the trail of the terrorists.

On 07 Sep 23,

input was received about two unidentified individuals with bags in general area Mathiyani
Gala, Rajouri District. Based on this input domination plan and intelligence operations
were launched jointly by Indian Army, JKP and sister intelligence agencies.

On 11 Sep 2023 two unidentified individuals with bags were again spotted by the patrol in the jungle at 1830 Hr. The individuals on being challenged, taking advantage of
poor visibility compounded with adverse weather conditions started running. On visual
confirmation of weapon with them, own party fired on them and it is likely that one of
them got injured. The joint cordon of the area was done along with JKP and night enabled surveillance
devices were pressed into service to deny any escape of the terrorists.

Early on 12 Sep
2023 during the search of the area, a bag left behind by the terrorists was found which contained Pak marking medicines among other things. Army Dog Kent was employed and trail of the terrorists was followed for some distance.
However, owing to rains and moisture, the trail was lost.

Parties continued in the general direction and after some distance some blood was noticed. Army Dog Kent was again employed and she picked up this trail and the party started closing in. Seeing the party moving closer the terrorists hiding in the thick overgrowth opened fire at point blank range at around 1515 Hr. Initial fire hit Kent, her handler and another soldier covering the move.

The party continued to close in undeterred to prevent the terrorists from escaping. In the ensuing heavy fire fight, displaying exceptional courage, own troops successfully neutralised one terrorist. Simultaneously, another party in close vicinity was also fired upon.

In the ops so far, Army Dog Kent was fatal, while three other soldiers and an SPO were injured. Causalty evacuation of soldiers was done, however, since the terrorist fire was going on, body of Kent could not be retrieved. Later, one of the three soldiers succumbed to his injuries. The other two soldiers and a Police SPO were evacuated to the Military Hospital. As darkness set in and visibility started reducing with heavy rains, the cordon was again tightened to prevent the second terrorist from escaping.

Firefight continued throughout the night to ensure terrorists do not get away.

At around 1000 Hr, 13 Sep 23 the second terrorist was spotted and fire fight commenced, during which another soldier was injured. Finally, at around 1130 Hr, second terrorist was neutralised. Due to the thick undergrowth further move was done deliberately. In the operations two likely foreign terrorists along with 02 AK Series Rifles and packs with administrative and logistic stores were recovered.

The success of the operation is an apt testimony of the
coordination and cooperation existing between the various agencies involved. The
incident once again demonstrates the stoic resolve of the Security Forces to deny any opportunity to the terrorists to disrupt peace and tranquillity of the region.