Sources have said both Chinese and Indian troops have moved back over a kilometre from the site of the violent clashes at Galwan Valley in Ladakh. A buffer zone has also been created to avoid escalation.
New Delhi, July 6:
In the first signs of a drawback of the Chinese troops along the disputed Line of Actual Control (LAC), Chinese troops have reportedly “shifted” over a kilometre from the site of the June 15 violent clashes at Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh.
The relocation of troops has taken place on both sides with India also moving back its soldiers in tense Galwan. As per sources, the pullback started as per agreed terms in the Corp Commander-level talks.
A buffer zone has been created between the Indian and Chinese troops to avoid escalation, sources have told India Today TV.The buffer zone is equidistant from both sides.
Temporary structures have also been removed by China. “PLA seen removing tents and structures at Patrol Point 14,” the source said.
The Indian and Chinese armies have been locked in a bitter standoff in multiple locations in eastern Ladakh for around two months. The tension escalated manifold after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a violent clash in Galwan Valley on June 15. The Chinese side also suffered casualties but it is yet to give out the details.
India has been insisting on restoring status quo ante in all areas of eastern Ladakh to restore peace and tranquillity in the region.
Last week, Indian and Chinese militaries held an over 10-hour Corps Commander-level dialogue with a focus on finalising modalities for the disengagement of troops from various standoff points in eastern Ladakh, and explored ways to ease tension in the region.
The focus of the talks was also on finalising the modalities for de-escalation, and disengagement of troops from various friction points, the sources said adding there were deliberations on confidence building measures as well.
The sources had said that the Indian side pitched for strictly following provisions of a number of agreements on dealing with issues relating to handling of border issues.
Earlier this month, Chinese state media had reported that India and China had decided to disengage troops from the border in Ladakh in batches. Chinese government mouthpiece Global Times said India and China agreed to disengage front-line border troops in batches. The two sides also agreed to take effective measures to ease the situation in the border areas, the report had added.
The announcement had come after Corp Commander-level meeting between Indian and Chinese armies that took place in Chushul sector in eastern Ladakh. On the report, Indian sources had said that both armies emphasised the need for an “expeditious, phased and stepwise” de-escalation as a “priority” to end the seven-week bitter standoff in eastern Ladakh.