Srinagar Oct, 7

Life remained crippled in Kashmir Valley for the 91st consecutive day as authorities imposed restrictions in Srinagar city of Kashmir Valley on Friday morning to prevent a protest march to the UN observer’s office called by resistance leaders.

The resistance leaders had urged people to march to the UN Military Observers Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) headquarter office in Sonawar area.

Forces had sealed all roads to Sonawar’s high security zone and disallowed any vehicular or pedestrian movement towards the UNMOGIP office. All educational institutions, public transport and businesses remained closed during the ongoing unrest that started on July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen commander, Burhan Wani, was killed in a gunfight with the forces.


Over 90 people died and over 14,000 have been wounded in the ongoing unrest.

Authorities in Srinagar city had sealed almost all the routes while city centre Lal Chowk remained out of bounds. Concertina wires had been erected to restrict the movement of people and commuters. There was no Friday congregational prayers at Jamia Masjid for the 13th consecutive weeks while authorities locked the gates of a revered shrine, located near the UN office, to halt a march called by resistance leaders.

Reports said that the gates of Hazrat Syed Yaqoob Sahib (RA) in Sonwar, located near UNMOGIP office, were padlocked by the authorities, thereby disallowing congregational Friday prayers. All roads leading to Sonwar had been sealed with police and paramilitary forces deployed behind barricades erected at all the entry and exit points.

were not allowed in historical Jamia Masjid Srinagar on consecutive 12th Friday.

Reports from North Kashmir said that more than five thousand people offered Friday congregational prayers at Eidgah Palhalan that were led by Tehreek-e-Hurriyat district president Abdul Gani Bhat. Shortly after Friday prayers, protesters move to block highway was foiled by police who fired tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters.

Clashes also broke out in Hanjivera and Singhpora after Friday prayers. Police according to eye-witnesses fired pellets and tear-gas canisters to dissipate them. Clashes between the Forces and protesters continued for hours and it left many protesters wounded.

Clashes erupted in north Kashmir’s Bandipora town on Friday soon after congregational prayers when the government forces did not allow people to hold a protest.

Locals told  that hundreds of people assembled in the main Chowk of the town after prayers and started raising pro-freedom and anti-India slogans however forces deployed in large numbers swung into action and used force to disperse them. Protesters also pelted stones on forces ensuing clashes which left many wounded.

Clashes also erupted in north Kashmir’s Sopore town in Baramulla district on Friday soon after congregational prayers, reports said. Locals said that hundreds of people tried to march from Jamia masjid Sopore after prayers and they started raising pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. However forces deployed in large numbers swung into action and used force to disperse them near main bazaar resulting in clashes.


Reports of clashes between protesters and forces also broke out in Jamia Qadeem Sopore.

Pro-freedom marches were taken out in Kakapora and Tahab areas of Pulwama district. Protesters in these areas clashed with government forces. Forces used tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters who continuously attacked them with stones amid pro-freedom slogans. Pro-freedom protest marches were also organized in Aarihal and Rohmu Pulwama.

Reports said that police foiled ‘Salar Chalo’ march and imposed strict restrictions in and around Pahalgam in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district. Groups of youth there resorted to stone-pelting while police fired tear-smoke shells to disperse the agitating youth. Protest marches were also taken out in Bijbehara and Seer Hamdan area of the district. Thousands of people joined pro-freedom peaceful marches shortly after the culmination of Friday congregational prayers.

Reports from South Kashmir’s Kulgam district said that peaceful pro-freedom marches were carried out in scores of areas including Koimouh, Bogund, Yaripora, Panew, Srando, Bogam and Muhammadpora.